Monday, May 23, 2011

West Coast Bean Skillet

I have this irrational love of tomatillos. I just planted a tomatillo plant and six varieties of tomato in my garden that I can't wait to get some fruit from. Anyway, I have this great, easy Betty Crocker recipe from years ago that I thought would be fun to change up a bit with some salsa verde. The results were oh so ugly, but oh. so. yummy...
This concoction made me think of the sunny coasts of California. Husband G.I. Joe loved it, with the exception of the flat leaf parsley I threw on the to make it pretty (I love cilantro, but am in a minority). The kids took quite a bit of coaxing to get the first bite in, but LOVED it once they got going.  The only other thing I think I would change to up the yum factor is to cut  the sour cream I used by half and add pureed avocado.
West Coast Bean Skillet
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
1 1/2 cup salsa verde (fresh or jarred)
2/3 cup of favorite elbow macaroni
3/4 cup water
2 tsp chili powder
1 15 oz or 16 oz can pinto beans
1/2 cup sour cream
juice of lime
1/2 cup shredded cheese
Heat a skillet on med high heat and add 1 turn of oil. Once its hot, add the onion and garlic and saute til soft. Add salsa, macaroni, water, chili powder and beans. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer until pasta is just shy of al dente, 10-15 minutes. Add lime juice to sour cream and stir really well, then add to the pasta. It *might* look curdled at this point. You can then add some or all the cheese (I'd only do part though if it looks curdled).  Remove from heat, plate and add any remaining cheese. Hit it with a bit of cilantro or flat-leaf parsley if you like and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE cilantro! Planted two in my garden! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and my husband LOVES pinto beans! May give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete